Observatory for water accidents
Annual report: Observatory for water accidents in Greece in 2022:
Safe Water Sports has etsablished in cooperation with the State the ''Observatory for accidents'' which allows for the accurate recording of data related to drownings and accidents at sea and internal waters (polls, lakes, rivers etc) in cooperation with the Hellenic Coast Guard and the Hellenic Police respectively.
The Organization has udnertakes the statistical analysis of data of the Observatory, in order to plan the national policy for supporting prevention activities amining at the continuous reduction of loss of life.
- From 2018-2022, each year, on average, 359 people lose their lives at sea while doing leisure activities
- In 2022, there were -12 fatal accidents in the aquatic environment (sea and internal water) in comparison with 2019
- 8 out of 10 people die at sea because of drowning
- 80% of people who lose their lives at sea are over 60
- 71% of people who lose their lives at seas are Greeks
- In 2022, 62% of fatal accidents occur at beaches which are "not guarded" by a lifeguard
- In 2022, 87% of fatal accidents take place at a beach of the National Beach Register
- From 2018-2022, every year 9 people, on average, lose their lives while doing leisure activities
- 45% of fatal accidents that occur in internal water take place at swimming pools.
- 53% of people who lose their lives while doing leisure activities range from 18-59
2018 - 2022