Νew General Port Regulation No 20
The main changes introduced by the amendment of the Regulation are the following:
1. The new Regulation defines specific limits regarding the weather conditions (wind intensity in beaufort level) in which various water sports and recreational activities can be performed. It is also obligatory for entrepreneurs (landlords) to hold an anemometer for accurate measurements.
2. Water Sports centers are required to provide a lifejacket (in colors such as orange, red, yellow, green) to anyone who is invovled in water sports/recreational activities in order for him to be easily recognizable in case he falls into the sea.
3. It is forbidden to pull more than one (1) trawler of a recreational activity when this has a capacity of more than three (3) people.
4. It is established that the second person on board a speedboat that pulls a sea-based recreational activity must be over 18 years of age.
5. It is obligatory to place a mirror in boats that pull a sea-based recreational activity so that the driver can monitor activity and people who do the water sport.
6. When the parental approval is required for a minor to participate in a water sports, it must clarify that the minor knows swimming and it must be certified in a written form by the lessor or his respresentative via a Consent Form as presented inside the Annex B of the Regulation.
7. The basic requirements of mechanical nature that boats of any pulled sea-based recreational activities must meet, were established in order to ensure a safe navigation.
8. Stricter specifications and qualifications were introduced for the establishment of new water sports centers and recreational activities.
9. A new category of sea-based recreational activity named ''Pulled tooter sea-based recreational activity'' is introduced in order to describe the safety standards for look alike activities, of similar shape, that are found in any market by a different manufacturer and were used by unauthorized businesses, since there was not any provision in the establishment of the old regulation.
10. The operators of the water sports centers are obliged to indicate the limits that swimmers can reach by establishing a series of distinctive, yellow, spherical floating buoys according to the Port Authority's recommendations.
11. Α temporary license's withdrawal is imposed to any water sports centers that will be considered as abusers.
12. Water sports centers must keep a customer's record with basic information such as: residence details, contact details etc. that enables communication in case of an emergency.
13. Standards and conditions regarding the private pull of sea-based recreational activities are now established.
14. The owner of the water sports center must have a proven track record of the first aid.
15. The required qualifications in order to obtain a license (e.x. water-ski coach) must address at least one of the legal representatives of the company. (in the previous regulation there was an assignment's possibility to a third party who was not the legal representative of the company)
16. The license for water sports and recreational activities has now a maximum duration of three years so that the owners do not need to renew their licenses on a yearly basis, while previously this situation often led to the illegal operation of the business.
17. Water sports centers are now allowed to demonstrate how a specific water sport recreational activity works, based on the safety factor. (In the past, this was forbidden because legislation considered this as a type of "class" that was banned in rental centers)